Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day 2 and (gulp) Counting

Today is a rest day, at least a day to pamper myself.

I'm glad I packed way in advance, which gave me time to get a haircut.

After five or six calls to banks, I found one with crisp $100 bills. When I showed up, the teller seemed so skeptical. So as my Facebook buddy Kelly suggested, I brought my daughter's referral pictures, and I saw the teller's face soften. He still didn't seem happy about having to swap my crappy $600 with his bank's magnificent six, but that works.

My crisp $100 bills are happily flattened in a small book. Truth is, all I need are four crisp $100s, but I got two extra in case one or two does not meet the "crisp-enough" test in China.

I can't believe I'm leaving in two days. Planning to sleep on the plane during what is China's night to minimize jet lag.

Truth is, I'm excited and nervous to meet my daughter the night she'll be brought to my room. I know we'll be sizing each other up, and maybe we'll both feel awkward, or maybe we'll bond instantly. Who knows?

The thing is, we will be introduced in a quiet place without fanfare. I really lucked out.
Beth L. Gainer is a professional writer and has published numerous academic and magazine articles, as well as an essay on her breast cancer experience in the anthology Voices of Breast Cancer by LaChance Publishing. She writes about medical advocacy at www.bethlgainer.blogspot.com, and her cat Hemi blogs at www.catterchatter.blogspot.com. Beth teaches writing and literature at Robert Morris University in the Chicago area. She can be contacted at bethlgainer@gmail.com and gainercallingtheshots@gmail.com. She also blogs on the adventures of her cats, Hemi and Cosette, at http://www.catterchatter.blogspot.com./.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment