Friday, July 10, 2009

7 Days and Counting

Well, one week from now I will be China-bound -- on a plane from Chicago to Hong Kong and to Nanchang, in my daughter's native Jiangxi province.

And more and more I keep wishing I had paid attention to my 7th grade history teacher, Dr. Blau, who specialized in Chinese history and geography. I couldn't keep track of all the dynasties and thus found the class boring.

Well, Dr. Blau, I'm no longer bored by China.

In fact, since I got the referral, it's been in the forefront of my mind. I had been reading tomes on China, adoption, and adoption in China. I've earned the right to adopt my daughter, as I've been speaking mangled Mandarin for three years and worked to tears by my Nintendo Chinese Coach. There were certain words and expressions that, at the height of my frustration, I could not find on the system, as it is rated PG, after all.

Even though I've been waiting for this important moment for four years, I can't believe it's so soon.

Too soon, I think, as I frantically try to find all things baby without overpacking. A Walmart is available there, so I only need a minimal number of items.

Still, what to choose?

As someone who does not have kids, I'm confused by the vast array of baby items. Do I get the Pampers Super Duper Delux diapers? The Huggies Quadruple-Layer Super X size? Or the Luv's Super-Pinch-A-Loaf-Catcher model? Like Pin the Tail on the Donkey, I grimace and just close my eyes and choose.

And lately I've had a barrage of contradictory advice from well-meaning mothers about diaper rash, teething, what to feed the baby, etc., etc. They have no clue that after their lectures on baby puke, I am even more clueless.

Oh, and to make matters even worse, I don't like travel, which is why the most exotic flight I have ever taken has been to Toronto.

This trip will have proven that I've come a long way -- just for my baby.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I love the part about your geography teacher. What's Nintendo Chinese Coach? Huggies are the best diapers. Don't bother with the Supreme: they cost more you and get less. Sams Club brand has also worked well in my house.

    You're gonna be a great mom. Correction: you ARE a great mom.

    ReplyDelete